Camlock fittings—also called cam and groove couplings—are sturdy connectors used to join hoses or pipes. These couplings are distinguished by their ease of use. Unlike many high-performance couplings, camlock fittings install rapidly with no tools required. This advantage arises from their unique design, which aligns external locking arms with an internal gasket for quick and intuitive sealing.
Camlock fittings are one of Seal Fast’s specialties as an industry-leading manufacturer of valves, couplings, fittings, and PVC hoses. We offer all common styles of cam and groove couplings at competitive prices, with ISO 9001:2015-certified quality assurance. These premium components provide years of reliable performance, even in the most demanding environments.
Camlock Fittings at Seal Fast
Seal Fast’s extensive catalog of fittings and couplings includes camlock fittings for any application:
All of our cam and groove couplings are available in a range of materials and configurations to suit our diverse industry clientele. If you have questions, our team would be happy to help you determine the right component for your application.
What are Camlock Fittings?
Camlock fittings are used to couple two hoses or pipes. They are designed for maximum ease of use, requiring no tools for installation or removal while still providing a strong and lasting seal. As a result, they have begun to displace traditional connectors, which require more time and labor-intensive installation.
How Do Camlock Fittings Work?
Camlock fittings consist of a male adaptor and a female coupler that fit together to connect two pipes. Two cam arms on the housing of the fitting enable the rapid installation typical of a cam and groove coupling. Closing the cam arms, or handles, pulls the grooved adaptor firmly against the sealing gasket in the female end, locking the fitting in place. Extending the cam arms back to their original position releases the pressure and enables easy removal of the fitting.
Camlock couplings are very simple to use. To install a camlock fitting, ensure that the handles are extending outward in the non-sealing position. Then, fit the desired male adaptor into the female coupler end. Close both handles at the same time to engage the gasket and seal the male and female halves together. Closing the handles together (rather than one at a time) ensures an even and leak-proof seal, which is key to proper functionality.
To disconnect the fitting, first depressurize the hose assembly. Once it is safe to remove the coupling, simply pull the handles outward to disengage the gasket and break the seal.
Benefits of Camlock Fittings
The primary benefit of camlock fittings is their simplified installation. Unlike most other couplings, cam and groove fittings connect or disconnect in seconds without tools. This makes them especially useful in settings that require frequent piping changes, though they can reduce downtime in virtually any fluid transfer application.
In addition to their simple and fast installation, camlock fittings also feature the following advantages:
- Durability. Seal Fast has long provided camlock fittings suitable for the most extreme working environments, including those found in oil and gas and mining applications. Our camlock fittings are built to last from durable materials such as stainless steel and polypropylene, allowing them to resist wear and corrosion across varied work sites.
- Versatility. Thanks to their rugged construction, camlock fittings can handle most liquid, powder, and gas transfer applications without premature wear. Their availability in varied materials and configurations further increases their versatility, allowing clients from diverse industries to find components that will suit their needs.
- Reliability. Seal Fast’s camlock fittings are built from premium materials in an ISO 9001:2015-registered facility, so you can be confident in their reliable and consistent seal quality.
- Cost-effectiveness. Camlock fittings are an affordable option that can fit in any facility’s budget. Their ease of use and reliability produce further cost savings in the form of reduced labor and maintenance costs.
These advantages make cam and groove couplings an easy choice for a range of fluid and material transfer applications.
For maximum benefit, clients should choose a camlock fitting with the right composition to match their application’s environment. Fortunately, camlock fittings come in many varieties, each with their own performance characteristics:
- Stainless steel. Stainless steel is widely used for manufacturing fittings due to its strength, corrosion resistance, and ability to withstand extreme temperatures. This combination of properties makes stainless steel the ideal option for food and beverage applications, which entail frequent, high-temperature sanitation protocols. However, their durability and corrosion resistance also lend themselves to marine, oil and gas, and similarly demanding environments.
- Brass. Although brass is not as strong as stainless steel, it is highly resistant to damage and corrosion. Brass performs especially well against saltwater corrosion, so it is commonly found in marine applications.
- Aluminum. Aluminum is a lightweight metal with an excellent strength-to-weight ratio. At the same time, aluminum is more cost-effective than stainless steel, so it is a good alternative for general industrial applications.
- Polypropylene. Polypropylene is a cost-effective, high-performance alternative to metal fittings. Despite lacking the strength of stainless steel or aluminum, polypropylene offers excellent corrosion resistance and impressive durability, making polypropylene fittings a strong choice for industrial and agricultural applications.
- Nylon. Nylon has similar performance characteristics to polypropylene, but it can withstand higher temperatures and variable humidity. Nylon camlock fittings are used in industrial and agricultural applications where heat and moisture are of concern.
- Ductile Iron.
Within these categories, camlock fittings are available in various configurations of male and female threads, denoted as Types A-F. The team at Seal Fast can help you identify the right material and configuration for your needs.
Common Applications for Camlock Fittings
The versatility of camlock fittings means they get used across many distinct industries. Some of the most common applications include:
- Agriculture. Durable, corrosion-resistant camlock fittings perform well in agriculture applications, which expose fittings to temperature and humidity fluctuations as well as harsh chemicals.
- Oil and Gas. Petrochemical clients benefit from the safe and easy-to-use installation procedure afforded by camlock fittings. Stainless steel cam and groove couplings, in particular, offer the simplicity and durability needed in hazardous oil and gas facilities.
- Ink Manufacturing. The quick installation and removal of camlock fittings benefits ink manufacturing clients, who must frequently change their pipe connections.
- Cleaning and Sanitation. Camlock fittings are a natural choice for industrial cleaning providers, simplifying transportation and storage while preventing leaks in the field.
- Military. Defense applications call for fittings that are lightweight, reliable, and quick to install. Aluminum camlock couplings are the perfect choice to ensure both rapid deployment and reliable performance when stakes are high.
- Pumps. Camlock fittings are a top choice for inlet and outlet pump connections across industries.
More generally, camlock fittings are useful to any client who wants to streamline assembly for the fluid or material transfer application.
Camlock fittings are effective and easy to use, with options available for virtually any industry. Seal Fast’s quick-install cam and groove couplings are ideal for a broad range of material transfer applications. Camlock fittings from Seal Fast guarantee lasting performance with intuitive installation and minimal maintenance requirements.
Seal Fast’s history as a premium fitting supplier extends for nearly a century, since our founding in 1933 as the J.E. Bobo Company. We’ve since expanded from a single product line to offer a comprehensive catalog of diverse and globally distributed solutions.
To learn more about our product offerings, please request a catalog. For assistance in selecting the right solution for your needs, please contact our team today.